Mice and rats are the most well-known rodents and are a lot more than a nuisance. Rodents are known to carry more than 35 diseases. These diseases can be transmitted to humans directly by handling dead or live rodents and coming into contact with feces, urine or saliva, and bites. The diseases spread by rodents can come indirectly through ticks, fleas or mites that an infected rodent has fed on. The most common disease that gets passed is Hantavirus.
Rodent Droppings and Urine
Rat and mice droppings are about the size of a grain of rice and are shaped like a spindle. Rodents are constantly urinating and pooping. Mice are estimated to drop fecal pellets around multiple times a day, from up to 70 times! That is an excessive amount for just one rat. Now try to imagine how much feces would build up with multiple rodents around your house.
Tips to Safely Clean Up After a Rodent Infestation
What to wear:
- A high-quality pair of nonabsorbent gloves during the whole clean-up process
- The clothing worn ought to be tossed out after the cleaning cycle is finished.
- Instead, spray the droppings and surrounding area with disinfectant solution.
Cleaning Method and Disposal:
- Do not try to use a broom for sweeping up the droppings. Sweeping may cause the spread of airborne particles.
- Instead, spray the droppings and surrounding area to be cleaned with a disinfectant solution.
- Use a cloth or sponge to scoop the nesting and dropping waste. Place the droppings inside a plastic bag. After all the droppings have been scooped up, place the cloth inside the plastic bag as well.
- Avoid using a sweeping motion. Dispose of the droppings inside a plastic bag. After all the droppings have been gathered up, place the cleaning materials inside the plastic bag also.
- Once that’s complete, dispose of the bag outside the trash bin.
- Next, wipe clean any areas that rodents may have come in contact with, such as shelves, cupboards, countertops, inside drawers, pantry shelves, and so forth.
- Open windows and allow fresh air to travel through the area.
Hard service floors should be cleaned with sanitizer solution and leave air to pass through dry the place. Carpeted floors and rugs that have been contaminated should be left to dry thoroughly and steamed cleaned.
Old Island Pest Control is now serving Courtenay and Campbell River. If you require assistance with pest control clean-up, contact us right away to find out more!